A truck carrying 667 sacks of government rice was seized in Madan upazila of Netrokona last night during what authorities described as an alleged smuggling attempt.
The operation was carried out at around 10:00pm in front of Shamy Filling Station on the Netrokona-Madan road. The truck driver Shamim Mia and his assistant Shahin Mia were arrested in connection with the incident, said Madan Police Station Officer-in-Charge Muhammad Tariqul Islam.
According to police and locals, the truck was carrying approximately 20 tonnes of government rice that had left the Madan Upazila Government Food Warehouse. The rice, bearing official government seals, was reportedly being transported to a rice mill in the Bausi area of Barhatta upazila in Netrokona district.
Local residents became suspicious and immediately informed the administration. Acting on the information, Madan Upazila Assistant Commissioner (Land) Shawlin Nahar rushed to the scene with police personnel and intercepted the truck. As the driver failed to produce valid documents authorising the transport of government rice, the vehicle was seized and taken into police custody.
Madan Government Food Warehouse Officer-in-Charge Mahmudul Alam said that one Anwar Hossain Master had purchased the rice against a TR-Kabikha DO (Delivery Order).
He added that the rice had been stored in the warehouse for the past few days and was being transported on Thursday, but said he had no further information on the matter.
Madan Upazila Nirbahi Officer Bedboti Mistry said: “As soon as we received the news, the administration took swift action and seized 667 sacks of rice. The upazila assistant commissioner (land) has already instructed the upazila food controller to file a regular case regarding the incident.”
Both the truck and the seized rice remain in custody along with the two arrested individuals, police said, adding that legal steps will be taken as per instructions from the authorities.














© Copyright 2025 The SSResource Media.
All rights reserved.